How it works
Import + Export
Custom Layouts is driven by two main concepts – Templates and Layouts.
Post Templates are designs to be used for individual posts.
A Post Template will hold elements (aka “blocks”) for displaying information about about any post that is loaded into it, in addition to design elements.
This is a single post template, with a demo post loaded into it:
Veritatis quis ex officia similique ut vitae
You can think of this as a preview version of the full post – containing elements such as a Featured Image, Post Title, Excerpt and Read More link.
* A post can be any post type – such as a Product, Portfolio item, Directory listing, Recipe and more – Custom Layouts should work with all post types.
Our drag and drop template editor gives you the freedom to design your own templates – with tons of options to customise each individual element to your needs.
(In this plugin…) A layout is an arrangement of post templates. Currently this can be in a grid or list style – we plan to add more options.
- First select which posts to display using our query builder.
- Choose from multiple design options – such as number of columns, masonry effect + more.
- Choose which post template to apply, dynamically loading in the post details for each post.
- Edit the template used from the layout editor so you never have to reload and break your workflow.
Layouts can be created using our layout block for the block editor, or via the dedicated layout editor page.
This is a single row layout (if you’re viewing on desktop) – with 3 columns: